Management Information System Old Question Paper Year 2016 | Tribhuvan University | Program BBA
Brief Answer Questions: [1*10=10]
1. Define the term software as a service (Saas).
2. What is business intelligence?
3. What do you mean by switching cost?
4. Define Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
5. What are disruptive technologies?
6. Define Metcalf’s law of network economics.
7. What is outsourcing?
8. What is cloud computing?
9. What is data warehouse?
10. Define OLAP.
Short Answer Questions: [5×4=20]
11. Explain advantages and disadvantages of digital firm.
12. How Intranet and Extranet help for collaboration among employees?
13. Explain how MIS can be used to decrease bargaining power of customer?
14. What ethical, social and political issues are raised by information system?
15. What is prototype? Explain importance of prototype in information system development?
Comprehensive Answer Questions: [2×5=10]
16. Read the following scenario and answer the questions given below:
Domino’s released a new hardware and software platform called Pulse Evolution, which is now in use in a majority of Domino’s more than 5,000 U.S. branches. Pulse Evolution improves on the older technology in several ways. First, the older software used a ‘thick-client’ model, which required all machines using the software to be fully equipped personal computers running Windows. Pulse Evolution, on the other hand, uses thin-client architecture in which networked workstations with little independent processing power collect data and send them over the Internet to powerful Lenovo PCs for processing. These workstations lack hard drives, fans and other moving parts, making them less expensive and easier to maintain. Also, Pulse Evolution is easier to update and more secure, since there’s only one machine in the store which needs to be updated.
Along with Pulse Evolution, Domino’s rolled out its state-of-the-art online ordering system, which includes Pizza Tracker. The system allows customers to watch a simulated photographic version of their pizza as they customize its size, sauces, and toppings. The image changes with each change of customer makes. Then, once customers płace an order, they are able to view its progress online with Pizza Tracker.
Pizza Tracker displays a horizontal bar that tracks an order progress graphically. As a
Domino’s store completes each step of the order fulfilment process; a section of the bar becomes red. Even customers that place their orders via telephone can monitor their progress on the Web using Pizza Tracker at stores using Pulse Evolution.
a. Differentiate between thick client and thin client computers
b. Do you think pulse evolution provides competitive advantage? Justify your answer.