Business Communication II Syllabus | ENG 202 | BBA Fourth Semester Syllabus | Pokhara University
The objectives of the course are to
- bring the world of business into the classroom
- provide skills and strategies for different business scenarios
- help students to communicate confidently in everyday situations
- focus on key expressions and then put the new language into practice
- enable independent learning at a pace to suit each student
Business Communication II consolidates and expands the skills and methods presented in Business Communication I. This business English course (ENG 105) gives students the communication skills they need for immediate use at work. It helps those who need to communicate better in English at work, by teaching a range of business communication skills. It features video clips, including documentary clips, authentic interviews and dramatized scenarios showcasing business communication skills. It combines a communicative approach with authentic business material and digital multi-media, to give in-work and pre-work students relevant and immediate communication skills. A fairly detailed treatment of the theory and practice of technical communication geared to the Nepali experience is an important component of this course.
The contents of the course include:
- working with words
- business communication skills
- language at work
- case study
- Personal or career portfolio
- Technical Applications
- Reports, minutes & assessments
- Proposals, grants & contract documents
- Oral presentations and webinars
- Research, project work & technical writing
- Legal, ethical and cultural issues
Video clips can be used as focal points of discussion, to develop students’ listening skills, introduce new vocabulary and teach the business communication skills that students need in context. Language and skills practice can be given through activities in the Student’s Book and the Workbook (available on DVD-ROM). It is suggested that student-centered activities should be encouraged with the teacher acting as a facilitator.
Duckworth, Michael, and Rebecca Turner. Business Result: Upper-intermediate Student’s Book. Oxford: OUP, 2008. (containing interactive workbook with video)
Adhikari, Dharma, and Phanindra Upadhyaya. Technical Communication II. Kathmandu: Buddha, 2013. (Forthcoming)
Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of Current English. Eighth Edition. Oxford: OUP, 2010.
Hughes, John. Business Result: Upper-intermediate Teacher’s Book. Oxford: OUP, 2008.
Leech, G.N., and Jan Svartvik. A Communicative Grammar of English. Third Edition. London: Longman, 2002.